Monday, August 15, 2011

Liza's Adjustable Crib Skirt

I promised this post last week. 
And then I got busy.
And now I'm editing my Master's project for the kajillionth time.
I was losing some steam so I figured I'd take a break and actually get this post going.
But first a few Liza updates!
We had an ultrasound on Friday and by the calculations, our little lady is a growing 6 pounds, 1 ounce!  Her dad has begun to affectionately call her the "6 pounder".  This means that if she makes her arrival close to on-time, she'll be a little under 8 pounds :)

Because of this, we've been on a mission to have her room completed soon!  And we're close.
But, here's what I've been meaning to show you all: how to make an adjustable crib skirt.
I had seen some no-sew crib skirts and some that took way more sewing skill than I had and I opted for somewhere right in the middle.  I think you could easily make this an almost no-sew project, though, if that's not your thing.  
I also wanted a crib skirt that could adjust when we move Liza's mattress down as she gets bigger.  I saw this post, but she didn't have the directions as to how to actually create the crib skirt.  So I started measuring and brainstorming...and before long I had an idea.  But don't expect too much, I know very little about sewing.

Here's what I came up with...

Adjustable Crib Skirt Tutorial

Materials:
3.5 yards ribbon (mine was about 3/4" thick) or leftover ribbon 
2 yards fabric (just to be safe) - I only did 3 sides of my crib since one rests against the wall
Thread or Iron-on Hem Tape

{1} Measure the sides of your crib that you'll want to have a skirt hang from.  Make sure your mattress is at the highest setting.  Add an inch or two on to each width and length so you have enough for a hem.  (I worked on this while I washed my fabric to ensure it was pre-shrunk)
{2} Cut material for each panel (rather than one large piece).  Then, iron and pin a hem around each edge of the panel.  Sew these down (or use iron-on hem tape) EXCEPT for the top.
{3} Cut your ribbon into 10" strips - you'll need approximately 11 of these.  Then, fold them in half and iron at that point.  
{4} Pin three of these at the middle of the ribbon to the top of your side panels and 5 to the top of your front panel, keeping somewhat equal distance in between. (You'll be using the ribbon to tie knots, so you need to have the two ends out)

{5} Sew a hem on the top of each panel while sewing the ribbon down.
{6} Press the panels one more time before hanging.  Then, ask your husband to help you (especially if you're 8 months pregnant) tie the ribbons to the bed springs of the crib so that the crib barely grazes the floor or is slightly above - whatever you prefer.




Then, stand back and admire your work :)
This is Mocha, my brother's dog.  She was baffled by the noise of the camera.  She was also a good helper when it came to getting the crib skirt up :)

More on Liza's room soon!!!

3 comments:

  1. What I fantastic idea! and SUPER easy too! I will def remember this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful!! doing this today - and love your tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. simple and easy to follow instructions! i will be making this for my first grandchild! thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I <3 Comments so keep 'em coming! :)