Thursday, May 26, 2011

Cinnamon Chip Scones

Do you like scones?  Yes.  Ok, make these right now.  Ready...go.  Seriously, these are some of the best scones I've ever eaten (or made) in my life.  It all started a few weeks ago when I wanted to have scones at the baby shower I was hosting (see details here).  I know of a few good places that sell them, but because I'm 'frugal' *ahem* cheap, I decided to see if I couldn't whip some up myself.  I started with this recipe...and made a few small additions to make them irresistible.


 Cinnamon Chip Scones
Ingredients:
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
1 egg
Splash milk
1 cup cinnamon chips (or other "mix-ins" - I used dried cherries and pecans)
1 tablespoon milk
2 tablespoons 'raw' sugar

[one] Combine sour cream and baking soda in a bowl.  Set aside.

[two] Mix baking soda through salt with a whisk.  Cut in butter.  Then, add egg and sour cream mixture.  Add enough milk to help dough combine.  
hello baby bump!
[three] Set oven to 350 and grease 2-3 cookie sheets.

[four] Flour work surface and hands.  Get out 1/3 of dough and knead lightly.  Then, shape into a circle about 3/4" thick.  Cut into triangles.  Place on cookie sheets.  Brush with milk and then sprinkle raw sugar on top.





[five] Bake for 10-15 minutes (depending on size) or until the bottom is golden brown.  

These things are seriously great....perfect for a Memorial Day weekend...or to trade for staying at friend's house like we're doing tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I <3 Comments so keep 'em coming! :)