Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Garden Veggie Tacos

It's Tuesday.  
Which also means it's CSA day.  
I love CSA day!
 Mostly because I get to Coveyou Farms and find this lil sweetie waiting for me.
Then, I get home and admire it for awhile.  I seriously do.  It's a work of art.
 And then, I try to plan some meals to figure out how to get through all the produce.
JW was expecting Mexican food tonight (one of his favorites).  So as I brainstormed for a bit, I thought of garden veggie tacos.  I wasn't sure they existed, but I checked pinterest and sure enough they do.

I peaked at a few recipes, but ultimately decided to create my own.

Here's how it went down...
What you'll need:
2 1/2 cups chopped veggies (I used green pepper, eggplant, corn and summer squash, but go crazy with your variations), make sure to keep sizes consistent
1/2 jalapeno pepper, diced
1/2 banana pepper, diced
1/4 white onion, diced
1 clove garlic, diced
1 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning (you can make your own, but we have a giant container)
Splash EVOO
Tortillas (either corn or flour)
1 can Refried Black Beans
1/3 cup grated cheese
Handful cherry tomatoes, chopped
Any other taco fixings you like! 


What to do:
{1} Heat up the EVOO in a large non-stick pan.  Add onions and saute for 3-5 minutes.  Add garlic and saute for 2 more minutes.
{2} Add green pepper, jalapeno and banana pepper to the mix.  Saute 5 minutes.
{3} Add the rest of your veggies and saute for 3-5 minutes.  While this is working, plop your refried black beans into another pan to warm them up.
{4} Add the taco seasoning to your veggie panCook for 3 more minutes.
{5} Grab a tortilla, smear some black beans on the bottom, then add a little of the veggie mix and top with cheese, tomatoes, and anything else you like.
{6} Enjoy the deliciousness.

Ready for the breakdown?
The corn was from a Farmer's Market down the road from our house.  We had already boiled it for corn on the cob over the weekend.
The summer squash is from JW's sister's garden.
The onion, eggplant, peppers (all 3 kinds), and tomatoes were all from our CSA share.

And the refried black beans...have you tried these things yet? 

I buy these at Meijer and they have roasted jalapenos in them too.  
soooooo gooooood.

So that's our Tuesday dinner.  And our Wednesday lunch.

We still have potatoes, lettuce, tomatoes, more peppers (purple and yellow to be exact), onion, and cucumbers to eat up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I <3 Comments so keep 'em coming! :)