Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Jumping on the {green} smoothie bandwagon.

Welp, I finally did it.  I made a green smoothie.  This actually was not my first attempt at a green smoothie.  I was inspired this fall by my friend, Dr. Dan, a chiropractor and green shake fanatic who posted this video on green shakes/smoothies.  I made one with spinach, water, strawberries, and raspberries.  It wasn't bad.  In fact, I think I kind of liked it :)

Then the months slipped past and as our CSA box continued to roll in with more produce than we can sometimes figure out what to do with, I saw some more green smoothies.  But that didn't inspire me to take much action.
I was on (never home)maker the other day (I blog I love to follow, especially now that Ashley is preggo with a little girl too) where they were having smoothie week which reminded me of the concept of green smoothies.  But it still took me awhile to get around to making some.

Then I came home from school today with some groceries I had grabbed quickly and discovered we had a plethora of spinach.  Also, being 8 months pregnant and not having lunch yet, I needed something filling...and fast.
I headed to a couple websites and of course to (never home)maker to scope out a few recipes where I found a PB-chocolate green smoothie.  
Come to momma.

 Of course I can never make a recipe 'as is' so here's what I came up with:
 
2 tablespoons peanut butter
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon agave (or you could use honey)
1 frozen banana (great way to use up the ones that are a lil too brown on the counter)
3 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt
3 handfuls spinach
1/2 cup milk
6-7 ice cubes
Then, mix them all up in the blender until they reach a smooth consistency and you'll get this...

(Sorry for all the instagram pictures, I was simply too hungry to get the real camera out)

You can feel free to add more ice cubes for a thicker consistency.  I had enough for a big glass today and a pint sized ball jar for tomorrow (which I stuck in the freezer with a lid on it).  It was aaaaaamaaaaazing.  In fact as I write this, I'm just slurping down the last sip.  And I can feel pretty good about all the ingredients in it...especially the spinach.  

So I officially jumped on the bandwagon and I think I might just stay on there :)

Stay tuned soon for a Liza's room update.  Just finishing up sewing her curtains today!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I <3 Comments so keep 'em coming! :)