Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Kitchen Shelves

Have I mentioned lately that I have an awesome husband? :)

Not only is he great at building projects, but he's also great at reading my mind when I try to explain projects and show him 4 different pictures and then proceed to ask for a combination of all of them.  It can sometimes be a tall order.  So, when I came up with the idea of some shelves in our kitchen to work for practical, yet pretty storage, he quickly busted out a design for them.  And the best part?  It's SUPER sturdy considering some of the things I wanted to put on the shelves are a little on the heavy side.   

Another plus?  When he tore out the old waterbed bed frame/platform-y thing-y from the basement, there was lots of scrap lumber that he's turned into awesome projects...more on those to come soon.  But, here's the play-by-play of him installing the shelves:
 He started by bolting these pieces into the wall so that the shelves were extremely strong and we didn't have to worry about the glass jars and pottery falling and crashing to the floor.
 I'm not crazy about what's on the shelf yet...but they're super-functional and add some storage space in a kitchen that's lacking that. 
 Some of the jars we picked up at Ikea and some are standard Ball jars.  The pottery is from good family friends of ours who own Sturgeon River Pottery.  If you're ever in Petoskey, you should check them out -- they make beautiful pieces!
 Right now, we're storing rice, sugar, almonds, oatmeal, and popcorn in the jars...but we'll see how that changes. 
 I just love these jars from Ikea -- and at less than $5 for each, you just can't go wrong!
So there's our lovely new shelves!  Stay tuned for the creme brulee recipe :)

2 comments:

  1. Your shelves are beautiful! The finish is perfect and looks great with your walls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, my hubby is pretty crafty :)

    ReplyDelete

I <3 Comments so keep 'em coming! :)