Thursday, June 16, 2011

Granola Breakfast

Mmmmm, it's summertime and I'm a teacher which means I'm doing nothing allllllllll day long.  Not really.  I'm teaching summer school 4 hours a day, 4 days a week, finishing up an online class, and finishing my Master's all while getting the house ready for little Liza in September.  

So, when it comes to the AM's, I haven't gotten a 'sleep-in' day yet...although I'm looking forward to that on Friday.  And though the morning sickness is gone (thank goodness), I still find that I need a big breakfast to keep me going throughout the day.  My latest craving has been for fresh fruit.  I've been pairing blueberries and raspberries with some Stonyfield Organic Vanilla yogurt and homemade granola as of late.  The best part is the granola is a super-quick-fix over the weekend and it lasts for at least a week. 

Now, for the recipe :)
Ingredients:
3.5 cups of Oats
1 cup Cheerios
1/3 cup Coconut
1/2 cup chopped Almonds/Walnuts/Pecans
1/2-1 cup Dried Cherries/Craisins (I usually sprinkle them in till it looks yummy!)
1 T. Maple Syrup
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
2 T. Agave Syrup
1 t. Vanilla
1/2 t. Salt
1/4 cup Water

Preheat oven to 275.
[1] Microwave brown sugar, water and agave in a bowl for 2-3 minutes or until sugar is dissolved.
[2] In the meantime, combine oats, cheerios, coconut and nuts in a large bowl.  
[3] Add vanilla, salt, and maple syrup to the sugar-water-agave mixture and stir.  Pour over top of dry ingredients and stir to coat well.
[4] Line 1 cookie sheet with parchment paper (note: not wax paper...does not turn out well...trust me).
[5] Spread granola mixture on cookie sheet.  Bake for 35-45 minutes or until lightly browned.
[6] Cool granola and then add in cherries/craisins.  Put in an airtight container and enjoy the rest of the week!

1 comment:

  1. YUM. I will have to try this! I'm a teacher too and I have literally been doing nothing...love it!

    ReplyDelete

I <3 Comments so keep 'em coming! :)