Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Who wants kale chips???

MEEEEEEEEE!  I know they sound gross, but hear me out here.

Our CSA officially started this week and I picked up our first box o' produce today!  But before I tell/show you all the goodies in it, let me chat about CSA's and why we're so excited about this.

Our CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) is through Coveyou Scenic Farms.  They are not technically organic (mainly because of the price to become certifiably organic), but they do practice green farming and use minimal if any pesticides/other products on their produce.  In order to be part of the CSA we had to reserve our spot early.  Here's why we chose to go with a CSA:

[1] They are almost organic.
[2] We love supporting a local business.
[3] We also love the fact that this food is fresh and local - meaning the only carbon footprint it has is from me driving the box of produce home (which is on my way home from summer school anyway).
[4] We weren't sure how our garden would do this year so we like the idea that we have back-up and if we have extras, you can bet we'll start trying to freeze, can, and preserve the food for us and perhaps even Baby Liza.

And now, here's what we got in our 'box' this week:

KALE
BOK CHOY
LETTUCE

KOHLRABI

STRAWBERRIES


Still thinking about those kale chips aren't you?  I know they sound delicious.  Ok, really, they sound disgusting.  But we had 2 bunches of kale in our share this week and so I needed to try something different!  Kale chips it was.  Are they better than a bag of potato chips?  NO.  But I have to admit, they are pretty decent!

So here's what you do.  Slice up the kale.  Dry it off.  Toss it with olive oil.  Spread out on a cookie sheet.  Sprinkle with salt, cumin, and garlic powder.  Bake for 350 at 8 minutes.




 Ok, now we need some more recipes to try with all of our goodies.  Any ideas?  Because we got a whole new box coming next week and we need to gobble this stuff up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I <3 Comments so keep 'em coming! :)